Friday, December 15, 2006

Apocaratso

Yes, we know Mel Gibson is anti-semitic and crazy and bad and we shouldn't be putting money in his pocket, but the fact is that Apocalypto is the kind of movie the shadowy and mysterious Codename V. and I like to watch. And we both did, in fact, enjoy it rather a lot as violent escapism, despite one humorously unconvincing special effect and a glaring astronomical faux pas.

But the one truly WTF? moment in the movie was when this Mayan warrior badass, annoyed that his group's progress has been disrupted by an act of nature, crankily says, "I am walking here!" In the context of what had just happened, it really made no sense at all. So the only thing I can think of is that Mel Gibson decided to insert a Midnight Cowboy tribute in the middle of his full-immersion Mayan epic. Makes sense to me...

4 comments:

four legs good said...

I don't think I'm in the mood right now for a movie in Mayan with subtitles, but I'll take your word for it.

Anonymous said...

Only you and/or the shadowy and mysterious Codename V., Eli, could make that connection. So they rest of us thank y'all for taking this one for the team lak dat.

iSalud!

Anonymous said...

"THE" rest of us, sowwy.

Eli said...

It seemed so obvious, I'm surprised I never heard anyone comment on it. It's not like it's impossible to describe without giving anything away.