Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Belated Sunday Swing Dance Blogging

Well, I haven't had a chance to blog since yesterday because I've been busy processing photos from a softball friend's swing-dancin' birthday shindig. I filled up my memory card that holds an assload of photos, and then filled up my half-assload backup card as well. I'm still not all the way through, but at least I found some shots I felt I could post here. I'll probably post a bunch more to my Yahoo photo galleries.

Alas, I was too busy taking pictures to participate in the swing dance lesson, so I sat out on the swing dancing when I couldn't take any more pics. It was still very entertaining to watch, and I can't help but suspect that some of what I do in my own manic rock-and-roll freestyling mode might actually be translatable, if I can just learn the basic swing vocabulary (easier said than done; I don't think I've successfully learned a dance step in my life).

I liked the band; the piano player in particular was a bit of a card, interjecting occasional tongue-in-cheek messages from imaginary sponsors, as if they were on an old-time radio show. One extolled the virtues of "Duquesne Pilsner" as a great back-to-school beer for the kids; another was for some kind of vocational-education-by-mail, which concluded with, "...And now I'm the director of FEMA!"


The Boilermaker Jazz Band. I approve. Hat on the bass and everything.


You spin me right round, baby, right round...


Note how skillfully I protect everyone's identity... Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

oldwhitelady said...

Eli,
Swing dancing is a lot of fun and yes, some of your steps would probably be usable. It looks like everyone had a great time. You did do a good job of not exposing their identities on the web!

scout prime said...

Eli that looks like so much fun. I love Swing

Anonymous said...

Note how skillfully I protect everyone's identity...

Yeah, I imagine people would like to keep it quiet that they were (whispers)swing dancers...