Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Questions

I know I'm hardly the first to ask either of these, but I'm going to throw them out there anyway:

1) What happens if BushCo. continues to increase the power of the Executive... and then a Democrat gets elected? Would the Republicans try to undo everything real quick if they saw the writing on the wall? Would the Democratic president be willing or able to use their extraordinary powers to fix the extraordinary mess the Bushies left behind?

2) Where are all the congressional Abramoff indictments? Please tell me the prosecutors aren't stalling until after the midterm elections.

4 comments:

geor3ge said...

1. The cosmic irony gods would laugh, yes, and I hope so.

2. The cynic in me says you may be right. The optimist in me was strangled years ago by the cynic.

Interrobang said...

I second what geor3ge said, and add to #1 the fervent hope that the Democratic President so elected with those extraordinary powers, having fixed things, would then dismantle them again.

I can dream, can't I?

Eli said...

I can't believe the Republicans would allow a Democratic president to have that kind of power - I'm just curious to see what they would do about it. Especially if there's a Democratic Congress.

flory said...

I can't believe the Republicans would allow a Democratic president to have that kind of power

They would roll back the powers if they could. You can be sure Scaife would be funding any number of lawsuits to have it all declared unconstitutional. Then you'd have the delicious irony of Preznit Hillary's Justice Department using Abu Gonzale's legal writings to justify her extraordinary powers. What a hoot that would be.

Please tell me the prosecutors aren't stalling until after the midterm elections.

At this point? Probably yes.