Monday, September 25, 2006

Commapassionate Conservatism

Conan The Grammarian speaks:
I like to tell people when the final history is written on Iraq, it will look like just a comma because there is — my point is, there's a strong will for democracy.

My take on this latest spectacular display of callous indifference is that human lives just aren't very important to Bush, not as measured against the glorious big-picture fantasy playing out in his head. You know, the one where a democratic utopia radiates out from Iraq and the entire Middle East, nay, the entire world, sings Bush's praises as The Great Democracybringer.

On the other hand, I think Bush could happily sacrifice several thousand lives for a choice Starbuck's franchising opportunity and still not understand what all the fuss is about.

This is yet another visceral reminder of why the Democrats need to retake Congress - so they can start turning that comma into some sentences. Long ones.

2 comments:

watertiger said...

The opporpunnities presented by this latest faux pas are numerous.

Eli said...

Don't I know it.

I got most of them out of my system at Eschaton yesterday, but there's still a few more rattling around somewhere...