Friday, June 09, 2006

They Write Letters

Argh. In today's NYT:
When Hitler died, it was a good thing. When Saddam Hussein was captured and taken out of commission, it was a good thing.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq, has been killed, and that is a good thing.

Whatever else is going on in the world, whatever you dislike about the American government, it deserves credit for removing this barbaric murderer.

If Hitler had been killed in 1942, there would have been hordes of protesters calling President Franklin D. Roosevelt bad names, but today we know that it would have been a good thing. So it is with the killing of Mr. Zarqawi.

Ah yes, the Saddam is Hitler, liberals love Saddam, therefore liberals would have loved Hitler meme, one of my favorites. Listen, you right-wing war-loving freak, if anyone in the Hypothetical States of America were out there protesting Hitler's death, it would have been your guys, not mine. You know, the corporatists (like Dubya's granddad) doing business with Nazi Germany, and the insane racists who think Hitler had the right idea. Those guys.

This is not World War II, you clueless amoral monster. Yes, Saddam was evil, but he didn't declare war on us, wasn't occupying or laying siege to any of our allies, wasn't systematically exterminating millions of people. Sure, Saddam wanted to be a threat, but that damn package from Charles Atlas never showed up.

And you know what? If we hadn't invaded Iraq, Zarqawi would be irrelevant. He wouldn't have killed one single American, and no-one would have ever heard of him. And I won't even ask why our strong, decisive war president never gave the military the go-ahead to take out this terrible boogeyman when they had him in their sights before the invasion...

3 comments:

spocko said...

Well said! Thank you.

They have more straw for straw men than all the farmers in Kansas.

It's interesting knowing the names of their debating tactics. It helps me deconstruct them, but it often takes me a beat or two. I think that I'm often too willing to listen and be carried along with the argument as if they WEREN'T continually talking out of their ass and making shit up.

Plus these days if you look hard enough on the internets you CAN find somebody who might make a comment that supports a silly straw man. One techniques would be to say, "Now who is saying this again. Could you please direct me to three prominent liberal thinkers who have made the "I love Hitler' comments. I'll review them for context and get back to you with three examples of YOUR guys ACTUALLY supporting Hitler then we can continue this conversation in which you admit just how wrong this line of thinking was, apologize and admit that in fact it is YOUR side that is the Hitler loving side." Then you can go home and eat paste. (Hopefully it will shut your mouth)

P.S. I also love B&W cloud shots. I also love B&W fog shots. Got any of those?

Eli said...

I think I actually *do* have some B&W fog shots, but I can't remember whether I thought they were good enough to post...

spocko said...

Well find them! We'll be the judge of that.

I took some fog shots at night about a Brazilian years ago and I really like them. Other people just looked at them and said, "Kind of grainy. What ASA were you using? Did you push it to 1600? How long did you develop it for? Tri-X right?"
Just to give you an idea how long ago this was. The bastards missed the poetry of the shots. (Either that or I'm just a shitty photographer. Probably a bit of both.)