Thursday, June 15, 2006

Spiderdipity

I'm kind of pissed off at spiders right now. I wanted to get a higher-quality version of the spider photo below, so on my way home from softball last night, I checked to make sure the spider was still there, then went to get my tripod so I could make a nice long exposure with a low (non-grainy) ISO. Spider's still there, wandering around at the edge of the web. But by the time I actually get the camera and tripod in place, the spider is gone, apparently never to return. Must be a Law & Order fan or something.


I've attempted to brighten the web up a bit... so to speak. (Click pic for larger view)


I figure as long as I'm out there, I might as well try to get a shot of my favorite saint, all illuminated. Trouble is, my tripod turns out to be not-so-stable when the camera is oriented vertically, so it tends to pan downward on long exposures. And the short exposures just weren't bright enough. But as it happens, the most blurry photo actually came out... kinda cool. So the photo mini-excursion wasn't a total loss.


It's St. Hurley St. Ralph, the patron saint of motion sickness!
(Thanks to spocko for the correction)

10 comments:

spocko said...

St. Hurley, the patron saint of motion sickness!

HA!

But I thought St. Ralph had that job.

Eli said...

Dammit, you're right.

Anonymous said...

ah, Eli, fuck.....

I am "Other".....

and probably proud of it.

WTF...over?

Anonymous said...

Eli, I may have to reassess my analysis of you, now that I know you *have* a favorite saint! That said, it is a lovely picture. And I like seeing the web in the spider pic. Even though it wouldn't have the dramatic contrast, what could you do (have you done in your 11,000?? photos) with a daylight web shot? I'm curious...

spork_incident said...

Nice.


.

Eli said...

Thanks!

I actually have tried to get a daylight shot, but the spider only comes out at night.

Elmo said...

Spooooooky!

Anonymous said...

digital records movement in a most unusual way.

can't describe the difference vs. film.

i remember my buddy blake shooting a model at a 250th, swinging flippers at the beach, and we got a motion blur. not in the game plan, but i actually like the effect.

watertiger said...

the spider shot is tres cool!

Eli said...

In theory, you would think the blur would be pretty much the same. Same optics, right?