Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Tuaregs & Strife!

Well, I just got back (new definition of just = 90 minutes) from a lovely man-date of dinner and Sahara with a friend, and am still full of Cantonese scallops and banana spring rolls (Mmm...). Unfortunately, the objective was to see Sin City before it departed the big screen (it was inexplicably sold out on our previous attempt a coupla weeks ago), but it's been relegated to a single 9:05 showing, which is just way too late. Sigh.

Thankfully, Sahara turned out to be not so bad. Some observations:
  • Is there anyone more comfortable in their own skin than Matthew McConaughey? Only other person I can think of off the top of my head is Queen Latifah, who I consider Poise Incarnate. Perhaps this is something I'm attuned to because I'm not especially comfortable in my own skin, although I'm light years better than in, say, high school (then again, who isn't?).
  • I enjoy movies where the main character is a master of improvisation, and this certainly qualifies. It's a big part of the appeal for the James Bond movies for me. Totally not the hot chicks at all. Nope, couldn't care less about 'em, nosiree bob.
  • McConaughey's sidekicks were amusingly feeble, almost childlike at times, which was kinda endearing. On the other hand, much as I like Steve Zahn, I'm not really sure I buy him as an ex-SEAL...
  • The opening sequence with the battle between the Union cannons and the Confederate ironclad was way cool, although a bit murky.
  • Tuaregs are cool, Penelope Cruz has a very thick accent, Delroy Lindo seemed out-of-place and uncomfortable, William H. Macy is always great, and is Lambert Wilson ever gonna play a good guy?
  • I really like banana spring rolls.

9 comments:

watertiger said...

Clinker G. Sissiest.

Just thought you should know.

Eli said...

Damn you!!!

Just rub my nose in it, why don't you.

*grumble grumble sulk pout grumble*

Eli said...

Ah, I just got one from madonna Knivetton, but it still doesn't compare...

Anonymous said...

Did "Sin City" close? I hope ya didn't miss it, I saw it at Loew's about 2 1/2 weeks ago (IIRC).

Good stuff, but grotesquely (if stylistically way-cool) VIOLENT. I told my daughter "You ain't seeing that until yer thirty-four!!!", not that she's interested, AFAIK.

--Captain Goto

thehim said...

Is there anyone more comfortable in their own skin than Matthew McConaughey?

That guy smokes a lot of weed. That helps.

Eli said...

Well, it looks like Sin City is still clinging to life, but it's been exiled to nothing but 10PM showtimes. Yippee. I'll have to see if my movie buddy is game or not, or if I can find one who is.

Anonymous said...

I am more comfortable in my own skin than Mah-cawn-a-hey, but, then again, I also consume the weed.
.

oldwhitelady said...

I had a non-mandate yesterday when my friend went with me to see "Hitchhiker's Guide". :)

Eli said...

Cool. Hitchhiker's was our Plan B the *first* time we couldn't see Sin City... Good stuff.