Friday, May 20, 2005

It slices! It dices! *Now* how much would you pay?

Line of the day (okay, yesterday, if you want to get technical) from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel by way of The All-Seeing Eye Of Froomkin:

Among those in the audience was Beth Schuetz, 34, of Mequon, who hoped Bush would talk more about how his plan would be financed. She is part of the Social Security system, receiving disability payments as she fights breast cancer.

"It seemed like an infomercial," she said. "They all just repeated what he said verbatim."

Let's see...

Hand-picked, mindlessly enthusiastic audience: Check.
Canned, artificial patter from insincere salesman: Check.
Credulous and/or dishonest shills offering unconvincing product testimonials: Check.
Dodgy wonder product that superficially looks like a bargain and godsend but doesn't work, or falls apart when you get it home: Check.

Yes, I think we have a winner. Put Bush in a Coogi sweater and make sure to pay all the audience members, and I think you have a pretty exact match...

The article also includes one of Bush's most obnoxious and cringe-inducing applause lines:

"I like to remind people, he's a PhD and I was a C-student," Bush said to laughter, then added, "I want you to take note of who's the president and who's theadviser."

In other words, "I'm stupid and mediocre and proud of it, and now the nerds all work for me 'cuz my Daddy was preznit."

Wanker.

No comments: