Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My New Hero

I mean, yeah, Stephen Colbert is pretty cool and everything, but this here is pretty hard to top:
After performing his hit "Gold Digger," with its old Ray Charles sample, [Kanye West] played old-school D.J., giving the crowd a snippet of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together," then Michael Jackson's "Rock With You."

"I'm going to play you one of my favorite songs," he then said. "I swear it's not a joke." It was "Take on Me," by Ah-Ha, one of the most fey radio hits of the 80's. Mr. West did a New Wave dance around the stage, looking as serious as he said he was, and the crowd... appreciated the perfection of the counterintuitive cheesiness.

Awesome. I don't get real excited about live shows, but I wish I could've seen that one...

3 comments:

four legs good said...

Take on me?

I hate that song. I will confess, however, to liking "rock with me" and Al Green.

Zap Rowsdower said...

I'm not sure I've heard enough Kanye West to say that I like him, but I do like the fact that he's been breaking the mold of the stereotypical rap/hip-hop artist.

And it takes guts to think that "Rock With You" and "Take On Me" have any dancability cred to them...

Eli said...

Zap and Buckeye, cool. 4legs, not cool.

And Sun Always Shines On TV is *great*.