Thursday, January 26, 2006

Cranky TravAlito Blogging

Been travelling (9 hours on a train), so not much opportunity for blogging - currently lounging around my Dad's house playing Mambo Kurt and Richard Cheese for my little sister. Probably won't be around much until Sunday night.

I was going to ask whether it was possible that the Senate Democrats are playing possum on Alito, softpedaling the filibuster talk so as to catch the Republicans off guard, without a chance to disseminate their talking points in advance. But if Byrd (and Tim Johnson) is on board with Alito, I don't think a filibuster's going to happen.

I just don't understand why - what are they seeing in him that I'm not? Please tell me they're not thinking "Once the American people see a Republican Supreme Court in action, they'll finally understand what's at stake!", because, um, by that point it's kinda too late. Even if it propels them to control of Congress and the White House, the Republicans have assured themselves of 30-40 years of veto power by the judicial branch. Sure, there'll be some entertainment value watching the Republicans explain how it's not judicial activism when their guys do it, but I'd really rather just watch Family Guy.

No comments: