Tuesday, February 14, 2006

"I Said It. I Meant It. I Stand Behind It."

I forgot to include this in my previous post about the Democratic party establishment screwing over Paul Hackett, but I think it deserves its own post anyway:

Various bloggers (I could have sworn Digby was one of them, but I can't find the post I was thinking of) have lamented the Democrats' unfortunate and self-destructive practice of sabotaging their best and most forceful messengers, but that doesn't go quite far enough. The core problem with the Democrats, individually and collectively, is their reluctance to say, "I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it." By apologizing, "clarifying," or backpedaling away from their statements every time the Republicans and their creatures raise a fake uproar, the Democrats marginalize themselves and their message.

By apologizing, they are saying, "Yes, you're right, that was not a valid point I was making." By backpedaling, they are saying, "I routinely say things that I don't really mean, and I just hope that no-one calls me on it."

On the other hand, standing firm and repeating "I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it," or better yet, "We said it. We meant it. We stand behind it," every time they are challenged, the Democrats would send the message that their positions are valid and deserving of respect, that they never say anything they don't mean, and that they will not back down in the face of intimidation.

Of course, the Republican noise machine would howl about how angry and unreasonable the Democrats are. Let them. I believe the Democrats would regain the respect of their base, and the admiration of those undecideds who are disgusted with the Republicans but don't see a viable alternative.

If Hackett is through with seeking public office, maybe the Democrats could hire him as a speech coach.

5 comments:

Zap Rowsdower said...

If Hackett is through with seeking public office, maybe the
Democrats could hire him as a speech coach.


You're lack of faith disturbs me.

Well said, my friend...

P. Drāno said...

Another reason for "never apologise, never explain" is that paradoxically it allows for more freedom not less.
Backpedalling is just a good way to remain off-balance all the time.

tah2002 said...

Admitting a mistake based on new revelations is the best choice. Kerry was called a flip-flopper, but I'd much rather have someone who changes their opinion based on the facts they're presented (open-mindedness) than a someone in office he remains stubborn and stuck to their orignal comments no matter what (our president).

Eli said...

I actually thought about adding a similar clarification, that admitting factual mistakes is perfectly fine. Not exactly the same as what you're advocating, but I agree with that as well.

The kind of apologizing and backpedaling I'm talking about is that prompted by nothing more substantial than Republican outrage, which is more plentiful than hydrogen atoms.

four legs good said...

BTW, I said it.


Dems should say what they mean, be clear, direct and NOT FUCKING APOLOGIZE for it.


Do the right thing, and do it because it's right. People will follow.