Thursday, April 07, 2005

Can You Smell What The Hammer Is Cooking?

As my liberal compatriots and I get all excited and frothed up about the various DeLay/Cornyn atrocities, confident that the Republicans' sleaze and overreach have finally caught up with them, I cannot help but think that maybe we're a bit like a nerdy, clueless wrestling fan wringing his/her hands and saying, "Oh goodness, that Stone Cold Steve Austin/Triple H/Iron Sheik/Iraqi Pete has really gone too far this time! He's gonna get kicked out of the WWE for sure now!"

We have forgotten that:
A) The game is scripted, rigged, and completely fake, and
B) The more outre and thuggish the smacktalk and spectacle, the more the people like it.

Every day (or at least every election day) since '96 I pray to be proven wrong, but it hasn't happened yet.

3 comments:

oldwhitelady said...

Damned Worldwide Wrestling Federation, anyway. We need to sue those bozos for providing the ideas.

Eli said...

Ah, but are they disease or symptom?

scout prime said...

I love the wrestling metaphor...rings trueunfortunately but hilariously. But like you despite everything I keep hoping