Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Gingerbread Ubermenschen



Well, that's certainly, um... festive?

OBERLIN, Ohio -- An artist's creation of gingerbread Nazis drew complaints after it was displayed in a hardware store window, prompting the store owner to demand the artwork be removed.

Charlie Palmer covered the gingerbread men during the weekend and said he wanted them out by of his business by Tuesday.

"He's gone way overboard this time," Palmer said of artist Keith McGuckin. "A few of his other displays were on the edge, but never that crazy."

McGuckin said he chose the subject to provoke thought, not to offend.

"I can differentiate between real Nazis and that the atrocities they performed compared to these little gingerbread men, but I guess some people can't," said McGuckin, 50.

Palmer left one of McGuckin's displays uncovered: a depiction of a suicidal snowman sitting under a hairdryer.

"I want people to say 'Oh, my gosh,"' McGuckin said. "And once they look at it, say: 'It is kind of pretty."'
Alrighty then...

Tragically, I could not find a picture of the gingerbread Hitler that I saw on the evening news tease last night.

4 comments:

masculine_monica_nyc said...

"I want people to say 'Oh, my gosh,"' McGuckin said. "And once they look at it, say: 'It is kind of pretty."'

Umm. Okay.

spocko said...

Speaking of crazy people. Be sure to check out Media Matters today. The upper right hand corner is a story about Melanie Morgan our favorite crazy Ann Coulter wanna be. They called me to get the audio and mentioned me in the article Weeeee!

Eli said...

Congrats, spocko!

MM's a real piece o' work. And she's making fun of *Pelosi* for having work done???

Elmo said...

...a depiction of a suicidal snowman sitting under a hairdryer.

LOL!