Thursday, June 16, 2005

A Practical Question

I could be mistaken, but given the diminishing effectiveness of my popup blockers, I'm pretty sure that there is an ongoing arms race between popup blockers and popup advertisers. My question is, Why would you want to force popups on someone who has gone to the trouble to install software to block them? Isn't it more likely that you'll just piss them off and make them vow to never buy your product? Are they really going to admire your popup's spunky can-do attitude?

Anyway, it's just a thought, and perhaps too perplexing for the pestilent popup people.

4 comments:

V said...

Between Firefox and my firewall, I never get pop-ups any more. Never ever. So there. Ha.

Eli said...

Hrmf.

Does not invalidate my question, however.

d:

V said...

I took a class on advertising when I was at university, and apparently ads that piss people off are still as effective at selling the product as less annoying ads. After all, their goal is to make you think about their product, and if you're pissed off you're certainly thinking about their product.

I gotta say, though... ads that piss me off definitely DO make me want to avoid the product or company even more. But 99% of consumers are stupid, so...

Eli said...

I dunno. I certainly do make a deliberate effort to boycott products with irritating ads...