Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Views On Religion

Well, since someone posted a long and barely relevant anti-religion screed under my previous post, it seemed like this might be an opportune time to try to briefly describe where I stand on the subject of religion and its followers. You can decide for yourself whether I am the implacable enemy of all things religious that Republicans claim we liberals are.

My own personal religious views are somewhere between atheist and agnostic (or "Jewgnostic," as the case may be), but I have nothing but the utmost respect for those who strive to follow the teachings of compassion and tolerance and sacrifice contained in most of the world's religions. They are far more evolved than I.

But those who pore over their sacred texts looking for mirrors of their own ignorance and hate and greed? They are like trolls in a cave of gold, searching for nuggets of coal and filth, and I feel nothing but contempt for them. If I believed in Hell, I would send them straight to it.

No comments: