Thursday, May 19, 2005

"Plastic Ain't Fantastic"

More second-hand info via NY Daily News (hey, I have to get my NY sports news fix somewhere), this time from Allure, and it should warm Mistress LJ's cranky heart:
Forget the extreme twigginess of the Olsen twins, the gravity-defying voluptuousness of "Desperate Housewife" Nicollette Sheridan, the Amazonian legginess of supermodel Gisele Bundchen.

To American women, the modern ideal of beauty is older, more ethnic and more unconventional, as lumpy, bumpy and real as Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Lopez and Sophia Loren.

(snip)

In the nationwide survey released yesterday, 91% of women said they are "satisfied" with their looks, and 81% ranked being good at their job as more important than being attractive to others.

And despite all those beer-and-babes clichés, men, for once, seem to be on the same planet as women. Of the 1,705 people surveyed for "The Allure State of Beauty," 66% of men said they would rather their partners skip the plastic surgery, while 49% of women said they'd never consider a cosmetic procedure, be it liposuction or a lip-filler.

(snip)

  • 62% of women think their romantic partner would call them beautiful.

  • 6% of women don't tell their partners they wax or bleach their facial hair. Only 2% keep their botox shots a secret - but 26% of men wish they didn't know.

  • 79% of women think they look better clothed than naked.

  • 66% of men say they don't want their partner to consider cosmetic surgery.
  • So maybe there's hope for us yet...

    5 comments:

    oldwhitelady said...

    Yeah - I have to agree with the clothed vs naked.. however, once I lose another 30 lbs, look out!

    oldwhitelady said...

    I lost 10 lbs, not 30, but I'm aiming for 30 more.

    Eli said...

    I'm actually trying to get a bit closer to my high school weight, but people keep bringing in cookies and donuts and having baby showers...

    NYMary said...

    This is really great, Eli, and heartening. Women are trained from birth to commodify themselves, to feel like they don't fit in their own skin. I'm glad to see we're shaking it off.

    For me, childbitrh was one of those "My body can do anything!" experiences. Yeah, I still look like a mom and stuff, and I'm heavier than I should be, but I feel powerful.

    (And didn't even have drugs, though that was really an accident the second time.)

    watertiger said...

    Even Camille Paglia was ruing the "barbiefication" of American women. How can women be beautiful if they all look alike?