Friday, April 01, 2005

Friday Quote Blogging

The answer to last week's Friday Quoteblogging, "All I have is some loose jello, okay?" was Muppets From Space.

Since there does not appear to be much interest in trying to guess the quotes, I am going to change the format by selecting quotes I consider awesome, and just giving away the movie they're from right up front, plus maybe some plot synopsis.

This week's quote:

"If there's one piece of truth in your insect soul, I want it!"
- They Came To Cordura

This movie stars Gary Cooper as an officer who chickens out in the middle of a battle against Pancho Villa's forces, and is given the duty of getting a bunch of medal-winning heroes safely to Cordura so they won't get killed before they receive their medals, which the Army considers embarrassing. He is also responsible for writing up their medal citations.

Despite or because of being a coward, Cooper's character is obsessed with the concept of courage, and uses his interviews of the heroes to try to understand how they did what they did. The irony of the movie is that the "heroes" turn out to all be pretty much scum of the earth, and Cooper ends up being the only noble and heroic person in the entire movie.

This movie was very close to the end of Gary Cooper's career - he died two years after it was made. Also look for an appearance by a forty-something Rita Hayworth (a little rough around the edges, but still looking good) and a pre-Bewitched Dick York. Also Van Heflin and Tab Hunter, for those of you who like that sort of thing...

And here's another picture of Eek:


Posted by Hello

9 comments:

V said...

I have not seen this film. It does not sound like My Sort Of Thing, really.

Eli said...

It's not. But it's very good nonetheless.

oldwhitelady said...

I love that cat! Her tail is so fluffy looking. She's cuter than a Scottish fold. Sure, they're cute, but she's cuter!

It's a good thing you post the kitty picture along with your movie quotes. I never know the answer to them, but I do enjoy the p--ict--urrs.

Thers said...

So I plague you for two weeks with spurious Muppet attributions, and then, when it REALLY IS A MUPPET QUOTE THAT I KNOW, you cancel the contest!

I am going to start a Whispering Campaign against you.

Eli said...

Dude, you had a whole week...

Thers said...

But I was on Spring Break!

Eli said...

Frolicking with bikini coeds and being eaten by sharks (or vice versa) is no excuse for shirking responsibilities.

Thers said...

Look, if there is one thing I have learned from the internets, it is to never stop loudly screeching about my grievances, no matter how batshit loony they are.

SCREEEECH!

oooh, Saved By the Bell is on. Mack in a mo'...

Eli said...

Keep reaching for that rainbow.