Saturday, March 18, 2006

No Blood, No Foul

Today's NYT has a long article about yet another American military unit that not only specialized in torture, but positively delighted in it. The signature innovation of this elite and secretive group, Special Ops Task Force 6-26, was the use of detainees as paintball targets. They even had "No Blood No Foul: High Five Paintball Club" placards.

Lovely.

One other strange note: The angry memo from Undersecretary Of Defense For Intelligence Stephen Cambone to Lt. General William Boykin demanding an investigation of Task Force 6-26 was dated... 6/26/04. I don't know if that was pure coincidence, or some kind of elaborate wink-wink, but Boykin claimed he found no evidence of misconduct. Maybe he just adheres to the "organ failure" standard of misconduct...


Hey, how's that "winning hearts and minds" thing working out for us?

4 comments:

Beth said...

OK Eli...I need the 411 on your new camera. Your pictures are so clear and mine are not.

Hope you are well.

Eli said...

It's a Nikon D200. It's a fantastic camera, but muy pricy, like $1700. The Nikon D50 & D70s are also very good, and about 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Beth said...

Eli,

I think my husband would kill me if I purchased the D200 right now...

A new garage door takes precedent over the Nikon...but my daughter got a Nikon for her graduation...I am not sure what kind it is because she just left for CA...to visit her Nana and took her camera with her.

Interrobang said...

I'm given to understand that a lot of these torturing types were on staff in the correctional system in their civilian lives. Where are they coming from? It must be something in the water...

Obligatory blogwhore: What happened in 1996?